- 2 (2-2.5 lb) tri-tip roasts
- Cattleman’s Grill Steakhouse Seasoning
- 2 medium yellow onions, diced
- 2 poblano peppers, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 cups canned San Marzano tomatoes (and sauce)
- 2 (15 oz) can pinto beans, drained, rinsed
- 2 (15 oz) can kidney beans, drained, rinsed
- 1 quart beef stock
- 2 tbsp Cattleman’s Grill Steakhouse Seasoning
- 2 tbsp chili powder
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp red chili flakes
Preheat your Yoder Smokers YS640 pellet grill to 225ºF, set up for smoking. Trim excess fat and silver skin from the outside of the tri-tip roasts. Rub the roasts with a thin layer of binder (oil, mustard, hot sauce, etc.). Season all surfaces with Cattleman’s Grill Steakhouse Seasoning. Smoke the tri-tips on the second shelf for 60-90 minutes until the internal temperature of 115ºF-120ºF. Remove from the grill and allow to rest for 20 minutes. Dice into bite sized pieces.
Remove the second shelf from the cooker and turn the temperature up to 400ºF. Also, place a Lodge Logic 7 quart dutch oven in the cooker to preheat. Add a couple of tablespoons of vegetable oil in the dutch oven. Add the onions and poblanos. Cook until onions are translucent and softened. Add the garlic and tomatoes. Cook for 2-3 minutes. Add the beans, beef stock and seasonings. Cover with the lid and cook until the chili is thickened and tri-tip is falling apart, 2.5 - 3 hours.