- 1 lb rib tips
- - 3 oz pork/beef fat (Alternatively, you can just use store bought ground pork)
- - 4 dried Guajillo chiles
- - ¼ C vinegar of your choice (We used a combination of apple cider and pomegranate vinegars)
- - ½ C yellow onion, diced
- - 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- - 1/8 t cinnamon
- - ½ t cumin
- - ½ t paprika
- - ½ t Mexican oregano
- - ¼ t Cayenne powder2t salt
- - 1/8 t Habanero powder (optional)
In a dry, hot skillet, toast the chiles for about 30 seconds on each side. Add enough water to cover the chiles. Bring to a boil. Turn off heat and let chiles soak until moist, about 30 minutes.
Remove moistened chiles from the soaking liquid, de-stem, and place in a blender. Add to the blender the vinegar, onion and garlic. Blend until a smooth paste, similar to ketchup, if formed.
If your meat and fat mixture is not yet ground, grind using a small die.
Add to the ground meat the chile paste and all of the spices. Mix by hand. Cook a test batch in a skillet and adjust seasoning as needed.